Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Update

I apologize to the few of you who are reading and following this blog.  Life has been busy and I've been way behind.  I am slowly catching up though and it feels good.  Today is my partial fast day and it is the first day that I've just been able to be at home and not in terribly tempting situations.  The first week I had to make a meal for someone and last week I was out most of the day and even had to get McD's for the kids.  It was rough.  Today though, I am prepared.  I made about a quart of juice this morning with everything I could find in the fridge--spinach, celery, cucumber, apple, blueberries, carrots, beets, and parsley.  It wasn't half bad.  I had some for breakfast and I'll have more for "lunch."  I'm planning a good dinner--Spicy mung beans, indian style cabbage, perch cooked in coconut oil, cooked carrots, and probably rice or pasta for the kids.  These partial fast days are tough for someone who loves to eat.  This whole diet is tough for someone who likes to eat lots of junk food and sugar but I'm doing it and feeling really good.  I have also gotten a few compliments on how nice my skin looks.  Probably because I am tan from so much time in the sun.  Yesterday was a thrilling day--I finally had coffee with cream, my favorite!  I bought a gallon of raw milk (the only kind I'm "allowed" to have) and made some decaf coffee and used honey as a sweetener and skimmed some cream right off the top.  Last night I had some chai tea with honey and cream.  I thought I was in heaven.  I am in the process of making kefir with some of the milk and I hope to also make yogurt after I get myself a candy thermometer.  The milk is expensive so I only plan to buy every other week and drink some but mostly make yogurt and kefir that will keep longer.  I have decreased my anti-inflammatory medication by half.  I just started a new prescription and it is for 7.5 mg as opposed to 15 mg that I was taking before.  I haven't noticed a huge difference in my pain level so that is encouraging--maybe I am truly healing!  My hands are still swollen and painful but not as bad.  My feet were hurting yesterday but I think that was because I was just on them too much yesterday.  All in all, everything is going well.  I am feeling good--lots of energy and getting used to the diet.  I have loved getting to add almond butter and apples to my diet.  That is my new favorite breakfast.  And, some fresh blueberries and coffee...

2 comments:

BeckyJoie said...

Ah, yes, the Chai Tea-one of my favorites too. Oh and the yogurt can be made with other kinds of "milk" too. You just need more starter. And you don't absolutely have to have a thermometer. Some of us old time yogurt lovers have found that you can measure the temp of 200 degrees by pinky-testing. If it hurts, it's too warm, but it shouldn't be much cooler than that-just hot enough to be uncomfortable but not hurt. I checked the method later after hubby bought me a thermometer to replace a broken one. It was pretty good.
Sounds like you are making great progress for this early on in the game. Congrats!

Melissa said...

You're doing great! I'm so proud of you. You are welcome to borrow my candy thermometer for long term. I'm going to stick with kefir making if all goes well. It's so much easier.