Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Could it be dairy?

I am starting to really think that I have developed an allergy to dairy and that dairy might be largely responsible for some or all of my issues.  I have suspected this for a long time but I've been unwilling to give it much thought. I love milk and cream and ice cream and yogurt and cheese...

After my first two weeks on the Maker's Diet where I couldn't have any milk products my hands were starting to feel a little better but I had significant improvements in my feet and knees.  Well, once I hit phase 2 I could have raw milk and I was thrilled.  I got myself a gallon and drank the whole thing in a week.  Starting late last week (I got the milk on Tuesday) my feet started giving me problems and my hands were back to being crazy painful in the morning.  I also started with the achiness at the end of the day.  All of those symptoms continued to get worse and I was thinking about it on Sunday and realized that the one thing I had really changed was adding back milk.  So, I finished up the milk on Monday (I had paid $10 for it and I wasn't letting a drop go to waste) and yesterday morning I couldn't do much of anything with my hands.  Today is a different story.  My hands are far from pain-free but nothing like they'd been this weekend.  That's with being 24 hours of no dairy.  I am taking the dairy out of my diet for a while and test it again just to see.  If it is just dairy then that is good news in the sense that I have a good answer and know what to avoid.  I will have to learn to deal with a life without milk, cream, and cheese but I can do it. There is a good chance that if it is a dairy allergy I can slowly add it back once I am better or have it occasionally but for now I've cut myself off.  Goodbye coffee....and chai tea with cream.... 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am sure that would be difficult to cut out dairy, but if it makes you feel better, my guess is that you will go to great lengths to avoid it. I wonder if you could do it in small amounts (like cream... ;))

Hope you quickly get back to pain free. Glad you had a productive morning - I'm making progress, but not near as fast as I want to!

BeckyJoie said...

It could be the culprit. It was for me, though I can eat some hard cheeses-just not straight milk. I can handle homemade yogurt but it is better if I make it from something other than cow milk. I've not done it in a while.

I hope you discover if this is a trigger for you but I'd hate to have you miss milk. I feel your pain! I craved it. I can handle it much better after several years of eating right though. Some allergies will decrease and even disappear. Just an FYI. Maybe there is hope for the dairy later.

Jeff and Laura said...

My entire family has issues with dairy. As we learned about how the dairy affected each of us differently we also learned from a couple of different doctors that cow's milk is not compatable with us humans. When the milk is pasturized and homoginized (sp?) it causes chemical changes in the milk that doesn't go well in our bodies. It also causes the calcium in the milk to become non-absorbable for us as well.

For one of our children the lactose induced depression to the point of wanting to die. Once the lactose was removed, within 24 hours, the depression lifted. Doctors told us there is no proof of lactose causing the depression but we have met other adults who were actually suicidal until the milk was removed from their diet.

What we have learned is it's important to discover what foods cause issues for your child as well as you!

We live a full, and full of flavor life, without diary and a few other food items.